Tuesday, July 10, 2018

We must Bebuild || Bastion (PC)


I love the art style

Bastion is an action role-playing experience created by Supergiant Games and published by Warner Bros. Interactive Media. You play as a young man right after a calamity that shattered the world into pieces. He seeks the Bastion, which seems to be a safe haven in this game where you can rebuild and hopefully find other survivors.

There is a narrator that follows your every move and basically give you a commentary over your actions. It’s interesting, and it gives me the feeling of being told a story that you’re leading. The world feels big, if disconnected, and it’s beautifully crafted. The hand painted quality and aesthetic make me think of older games like Legend of Mana which had a similar quality.

The Islands are floating!

In terms of gameplay, you’re tasked with collecting cores in order to expand the bastion, and perhaps finding others who have survived the calamity. So far, I’ve found one other survivor (minus the narrator) and found 5 cores. You have a multitude of weapons and skills to use, which is nice since it allows you to find what works for you, and also helps keep the battle from getting stale. The battle does get repetitive, and also really difficult. When you get swarmed, you really get swarmed. Knowing which weapons will help you the most against particular enemies helps a lot.

After you find the other survivor, he brings with him an ancient pipe. If you use it, you get some information about our MC (main character) and how he came to end up as he is. I wasn’t anble to complete the whole “pipe dream” as of writing this, but I know he lost his mother and all of the money he was sending home to her, so he returned to “The Wall” (I keep thinking Game of Thrones when I hear that, perhaps they are similar?) and was there when the calamity occurred.

I'm the map, I'm the map

The story is interesting, and despite the repetitive battle, I think the game is overall well made. The music is beautiful and charming, which goes along with the world perfectly. This game may appeal more to completionist types who seek to collect all items, complete the challenges and don’t mind the grind. For me, while the game is beautiful, and the score is enjoyable, it’s not worth sinking hours upon hours into (and it may be my lack of skill in these sorts of games that contributes to this).

However, even if you’re like me, I think the 2-3 hours you can comfortably sink into the game worth it, if you buy it on sale. You can read more about it, or buy it on Steam *here*. Let me know what you think of it down below!

Thank you, as always. Until next time!
Bellannmae

0 comments:

Post a Comment