Tuesday, July 3, 2018

I'm Hanging On || Just, Bearly (PC)


“My heart was broken and my head just barely inhabitable.” –Anne Lamott

I love the style of the game. The drawings over irl backgrounds.

Just, Bearly is a collection of playable vignettes that revolve around feelings of awkwardness. Created by Daniel J Roberts, Just, Bearly encapsulates the feelings of unease and the challenge of stumbling your way through social situations. I’m not sure I ever related to something to closely.

The vignettes give a variety of short interactive parts—sort of like a Warioware game. You mash, drag, push, and pull your way through a variety of situations while trying to appear like a normal being. You come across another character who seems to help put your character at ease a little bit, which is nice.

I relate so much.

The only issue I had was that sometime when the vignettes were loading, I ended up with lag that interfered with me performing the requested tasks. While it was a bit frustrating, it didn’t ruin my overall experience. Other than the lag on a few select vignettes, the rest of the game ran smoothly.

I appreciate the almost sketch book quality of the character art. The backgrounds often seem to be images of real life places, which is interesting to me. Having the drawn characters on the still images helps to make a connection to real life (in my eyes anyway).

In any case, I highly recommend giving this game a try, particularly if you’re a wreck like me and like to play games you can relate to. It’s free to download from Itch.io *here*. The game is also available for download on Steam *here*. Did you succeed in pretending to be normal?

Thank you, as always. Until next time!
Bellannmae

0 comments:

Post a Comment