Thursday, June 21, 2018

You're Not Rotten, Just Forgotten || Forgotton Anne (PC)


Athazagoraphobia: the fear of being forgotten or ignored and fear of forgetting.”

Beautiful environments

Forgotton Anne is a 2D indie-adventure game that is heavily story-driven. Created by ThroughLine Games and published by the Square Enix Collective, Forgotton Anne follows the tale of Anne, the Enforcer of the forgotton world. When the game started, I was reminded of a movie I watched called OblivionIsland: Haruka and the Magic Mirror. In the movie, Haruka loses a mirror that was a precious possession to her and finds her way to a world of lost and forgotten things. Forgotton Anne is very different from the movie, but the world made me think of that movie.

Anne is the Enforcer of the world, which means it’s her job to keep the forgotlings from getting out of hand and dealing with the rebels (forgotlings that want to stop the construction of the Ether Bridge). Anne seems to have a bit of a ruthless reputation to the forgotlings, which I suppose is well warranted since Anne could distill them without thinking twice about it.

The color schemes are beautiful as well

The story is well told, nicely paced, and deeply emotional. The characters all have their own motives and personalities, and I enjoyed meeting all of the different forgotlings in the world. There are many decisions to make, mostly related to whether you’ll distill certain forgotlings, or try to reason your way out of it. Given my own personality, I tried my best to talk my way out of everything.

The game is overwhelmingly beautiful, with a style similar to a Miyazaki film. Anne herself reminded me a little bit of Sophie from Howl’s Moving Castle. The animations are pretty smooth, and I loved the variety of movements, and the thoughtfulness put into how she moves—like stepping on every step when taking the stairs or having a specific turning animation while crawling.

There were a few things that ruffled mt feathers, but some of it is really nitpicking. For example, in the plant, when Anne descended a set of stairs, I noticed that the stairs appeared in front of her feet, instead of behind. A small issue, but I still noticed. Once when I was trying to drop down from a ledge, instead of falling, Anne changed to her animation pose when she hits the floor and fell down in that pose. I also was moved around the screen once as if I was on a moving platform, but I wasn’t.  The other issue I had was with the platforming. Sometimes I would be holding the run or wings buttons, but when I tried to jump it wouldn’t work—and sometimes it didn’t register my jumping at all and I would just fall.

This game gave me plenty of reasons to be sad.

Despite these little issues, I still found the game amazing. The music was beautiful, the sound design was thoughtful and created an immersive atmosphere. I often felt like I was strolling though a Miyazaki film. The environments are so detailed and well put together. I appreciate the time and effort that was put into it. I *highly* recommend you pick the game up for yourself and give it a play through. You can pick it up on Steam *here* for $19.99. The game took about 7.5 hours for me to complete, and it was a joy the entire time, so I feel it’s worth it.

Be sure to let me know down below what you thought about it! Did you stay with the forgotlings, or return to the Ether?

Thank you, as always. Until next time!
Bellannmae

0 comments:

Post a Comment