Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Where Gaming Begins! || Origins 2018


Over the weekend, I went down to Columbus with some friends to attend a day at Origins 2018. In case you don’t know what Origins is, it’s a convention where gamers and creators gather for 5 days of game filled shenanigans. Everything from tabletop games to role playing can be found at Origins. This was my first-year attending, so I was particularly excited—even if I just wanted to see all the Dungeons and Dragons things.

From the left: John, Me, Bethany, and Ashtan

I went with some of my close friends: John, Ashtan, and Bethany—our DnD. Our group is getting ready to start a Dungeons and Dragons Tal’Dorei campaign, but more about that another time. There were a lot of interesting things we saw. Ashtan and John even got to meet Chris Perkins. Bethany and I went to the Dungeons and Dragons hall to get our hands on some DnD tote bags (Plus, she and I didn’t really know who Chris Perkins was).  I love DnD, but I’ve never really been immersed in the popular culture of DnD until recent years.

There were also massive amounts of table top games, and so many different companies were there to show their wares. If I had a million dollars there would have been so many things I would have gotten for myself, and for my friends. However, I didn’t. I got my daughter a Hatsune Miku blind bag, because she’s very into Miku’s music right now, and I also got some dice, and a comic book from a local artist.

I got a "misfit" metal set, and a mini minty green set.

We only had one day, so there was so much we didn’t get to do. We didn’t get to demo as many games as we wanted, and we lost track of some of the things we wanted to come back to. The vendor floor was so big and flooded with so many people that is quickly became mildly overwhelming. I should have been more prepared for that amount of people, but I wasn’t. It was my own fault. Next year I’ll be more prepared.

I even saw some cosplayers! I didn’t get any pictures of them as generally it was just in passing and I was often distracted by all of the shiny and pretty things. I was thoroughly impressed with the skill and variety of the vendors. I wish there had been more comic books, but I get that it was a gaming convention. I would need to hit up Ohayocon or something for more comic and manga related merch.

John and Bethany demo-ed Stroop

The one game my friends did end up buying was Stroop. I watched John and Bethany demo it, and it looked interesting. I was too exhausted to demo it myself, but I look forward to taking part at the next game night we hold. Stroop is a game based on the Stroop Effect. Stroop effect is a demonstration of interference in the reaction time of a task. When the name of a color (e.g., "blue", "green", or "red") is printed in a color which is not denoted by the name (i.e., the word "red" printed in blue ink instead of red ink), naming the color of the word takes longer and is more prone to errors than when the color of the ink matches the name of the color.



Overall, my first visit to Origins was a huge success! My legs were tired, and my nerves were shot, but it was worth it in the end. Memories were made, and fun times were had. Hopefully next year we’ll be able to get a hotel room and stay for an extra day to really get the full experience or demoing games and meeting other people.  

Below I’ll post any other pictures I have:

I love my Octopus bois.  

A poster a got in my DnD tote

Ashtan and I

We spotted a Holly!

Be careful, I think that's a Mimic

Bards of Entertainment

Thank you for reading, as always. Until next time!
Bellannmae

0 comments:

Post a Comment