Thursday, May 31, 2018

A Silent Story || A Raven Monologue (PC)


Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.” –Dr. Seuss

Starting off all alone

A Raven Monologue is a bit more of a story than it is a game, but I wanted to let people know about it anyway. A Raven Monologue was created by Mojiken Studio and is describes as an experimental silent story about a Raven who does not know how to croak, and his relationship with the townspeople.

What stands out most about A Raven Monologue is the artwork. The art is hand drawn and animated, which is something that I personally enjoy and appreciate. Clicking through the story has the feeling of reading a comic book. It’s a very relaxing and enjoyable experience.

We're off on an adventure

The music is phenomenal, and really compliments the game as you play. As for the meaning, I’ve seen a lot of different opinions on what the meaning of the story is, though the creators seem to have left it up for interpretation. It can mean what you need it to mean, I suppose. There is even a discord channel open for discussion on it, and you can find the link to that n the Itch.io page.

When I first played the game, my impression was related to materialism. During the first half of the story, the Raven seems to be collecting things from the people that he meets. When the Raven begins his journey back, he ends up alone. It made me think about how people are more important than things, that the Raven should have spent the time with the people rather than collecting the things.

A friend!

However, I was reading some comments and another thought occurred to me. Mojiken said in their description that the Raven didn’t know how to croak, and someone else pointed out that the things the Raven takes, with the exception of the pinwheel, are all taken from speech bubbles. Could it be that the Raven is actually taking their speech for his own? When I thought of the game like this, it changed the overall tone of it.

Those were my thoughts on it, but perhaps you can interpret it in a different way. Feel free to download the story for yourself, it’s free on Itch.io *here*. Let me know what you thought down below! Did you take something else away from the story that I didn’t?

Thank you, as always, and until next time,
Bellannmae

0 comments:

Post a Comment