Saturday, January 13, 2018

Blessing and a Curse || What Remains of Edith Finch (PC)

"Show me a hero, and I will write you a tragedy." F. Scott Fitzgerald

This is not in any way ominous...

What Remains of Edith Finch is heartwarming game about exploration and discovering the stories of the past, created by Giant Sparrow and published by Annapurna Interactive. You play as Edith, returning to the Finch home after years away. Edith is the last remaining Finch, after the loss of her mother. Her mother left her a key, so Edith takes it and returns to the Finch home to unravel the secrets of her family and the “curse” that afflicts them. And, oh, what an adventure awaits.

This game has to be one of my favorite games that I have played in the last year. The story is well crafted with mystery, intrigue, and tragedy. As you explore the house through secret passages and hidden doors, you learn about each member of Edith’s family tree, and how they met their untimely ends. I loved playing the short vignettes of each family member, and despite some minor issues with the controls not working as smooth as I liked, many of the stories stuck with me and often had an element in them I could personally relate myself to.

Such a beautiful house with a view.

Edith’s brother Lewis, I think, was my favorite of them all to play. Simply because I can understand the desire to escape your reality and imagine something more—something grand and all your own. There were a few times I felt tears welling inside me (reminder: I cry so easily) and approaching the end of Lewis’ story, since I could see what was coming, was one of those times. Well done.

The graphics and music are both beautiful and fitting for the game, I took far too many screenshots to share in this blog entry, but I hope they showcase the game accurately. The music is well composed, and I even have the OST saved on my computer to listen to myself. Milton’s tower theme is just beautiful.

I wish my brother and I had this room growing up.

The story easily blew me away, the tragedy of Edith’s family members’ deaths, and her wondering if it was really a curse, of it the family’s belief in the curse made it a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts. Strange coincidences happen, after all.

I love the strange, the mysterious and the unexplained, so the “unsolved mystery” feeling of the game and the stories that Edith read from her family really spoke to me. I would recommend this game highly to anyone. What Remains of Edith Finch runs 19.99 at normal price, though I received my copy free, as I won it as a part of a random prize drawing. On sale, I believe it was priced at 12.99 during the winter Steam sale, so I, myself, always wait for a sale. This game is more than worth the experience, in my opinion. You can view the Steam Page *here* to purchase, add to your wish list, or get more information.

Thank you all once again for stopping in. I always take recommendations for games, so leave a comment if there’s something I should play, or if there is an error or anything. Take care, until next time. Happy gaming, Jammers!


Bell

0 comments:

Post a Comment