Thursday, August 10, 2017

Picking up Steam: Up and Coming Steam Games



Hi ho, friends! Today we’re gonna talk about some games that are either upcoming, or in early access—which means they’re playable, but not entirely fleshed out and complete. I hope you can find an interesting game for yourself! All of the games today are going to be available on Steam, and you’ll find links to each store page in its respective section. Let’s get to it—I can hardly contain my excitement! 
 
1. Ni no Kuni II Revenant Kingdom


Alright, so I played the first Ni no Kuni on the PS4, and I fell in love. I’m a big fan of Hayao Miyazaki, so when I heard the art for that game was in Ghibli style, I immediately pounced on it and I was not disappointed. But that’s neither here, nor there. This is a new game, so let us see what new things they can bring to the table.

Instead of Oliver, we have our young king Evan who was overthrown in a coup and plans to found a new kingdom in which to unite the world and protect its inhabitants from the dark forces that threaten them. Like the first game, this game is being developed by LEVEL-5, which has really made some outstanding games, so I have high hopes. The second games character designs are from Yoshiyuki Momose from Studio Ghibli, so the style carries over (yay!) and the score is once again composed by Joe Hisaishi.

It appears that although Oliver isn’t the main character of this installment, it appears that Evan and his cohorts exist in the same magical world that Oliver visited. In the trailer I’ll share below, one of the enemies says, “… the King of Ding Dong Dell!” Ding Dong Dell was a town you visited in the first game with Oliver. If we get the chance to learn more about their world, then I am even more on board! 

The game isn’t planned to release until January of 2018, so we have some time to wait. You can see more screen shots, a second trailer and more on the Steam page, located *here* I’ll leave this trailer here for your viewing pleasure as well.

 
2. Rim World
 

Rim World is a sci-fi colony sim driven by an intelligent AI storyteller. The game is inspired by Dwarf Fortress, Firefly, and Dune. You begin with 3 survivors of a shipwreck on a distant world, and you have to colonize and survive.
 
This game gives me a lot of different vibes. Like the Sims, you have to manage the colonists’ moods, needs, wounds and illnesses. Like many survival games, you’ll craft structures, weapons, clothing, etc. from a variety of different materials. You can tame pets, form relationships, fight pirates, other tribes, wild animals, and more.
 
There are a lot of gameplay mechanics here that I really enjoy. You start with 3 settlers, but obviously that isn’t going to do. You need to capture new colonists in combat and turning them to your side, buy them from slave traders, of take in refugees. Your colonists are also not professionals here. They could be pretty useless, but you’ll have to make do with what you have.
 
You can choose what area to crash in, be it the cold tundra, dry desert plains, a temperate forest, or a hot jungle. Each area has entirely different animals, temperatures, diseases, and challenges to overcome. Injuries are tracked and affect a character’s capabilities. For example, if a character sustains an eye injury, they wouldn’t be good at surgery, probably. There are many more unique mechanics that will make this game both challenging, and keep it interesting.
 
There seems to be a wide array of possibilities which really increases the replay value here. You can play the game so many different ways. Be triumphant, or end in tragedy. The game is in early access, and you can purchase the early access pass for 29.99, which seems a little pricey, but I’m tempted. I love these sorts of games. I’ll be looking forward to a full and complete version of this game. Find more information, screenshots, or get a pass yourself on Steam *here*.
 


3. The Escapists 2


I think every gamer on Youtube has been playing The Escapists 2 on their channels lately, but I want to talk about it anyway because this game looks like SO much fun. The game is simple, you’re in prison and you want to get out. So, you’ll have to craft, plan and follow the prison rules while you engineer your escape!
  
I never played the first Escapists game, so I don’t have the experience to compare it to its predecessor, however, the game looks quite fun. I’ve watched gameplay from the youtubers I mentioned before, and it made me want to play all the more. The new installment is also multiplayer, so you can have your friends help you to escape, which sounds cool as well.
 
There are a few different prisons to choose from, including Fort Tundra, a moving train prison, and even, yes, space prison. If you pre-order, you also get the Glorious Regime prison. Pre-ordering is only 19.99, which I’m tempted to do… if I had more money. This game looks like a ton of fun, with so many different prisons to play, things to craft, and ways to escape.
 
You can view a trailer below, but you can also visit the steam page *here* for more screenshots, information, or to pre-order the game. The full game releases on August 22nd 2017, so you still have some time to get the extra prison!


 
4. The Forest

 
The Forest is an open-world survival horror game in which you’re the sole survivor of a jet liner crash. Stranded alone in the forest, you’ll have to survive against hordes of cannibalistic mutants. Build shelter, explore the forest, but be careful… you never know what’s lurking.
 
You may know that I am not the best person at horror games. I jump and scare EASILY. So as much I know this game is a horror game, and I know I’m going to end up being a scared baby, I still want to play this game. I like the story, and the idea of trying to build from nothing and survive in such a horror filled land. Seeing the cannibals in the trailer made me think of the Abbys from Wayward Pines.
 
The environments look beautiful, except for the terrifying cannibal monsters, I mean. Some key features in the early access include the main mechanic of building and foraging during the days, and defending your base at night. I’m not much for fighting, so I hope there will be ways to perhaps disengage from battle or avoid it.
 
There are more features that the developers plan to add into the game, however. More animals and fauna variety, more trapping and hunting objects, expanded AI capabilities, more crafting options, and much more. The developers also want to try to implement some kind of co-op element to the game, which would also be enjoyable, I think.
 
The game is currently in early access, but is the least expensive of the 4 games I’ve shared here at 14.99. I really want to get this game and give it a go. Watch the trailer down below, and visit the Steam page to see other features, screenshots, or to get yourself the early access pass *here*.



 Thank you, as always, for stopping in to say hello. I appreciate it! I hope some of these games piqued your interest! Let me know if you plan to get them for yourself in the comments below, and happy gaming!

Bell

0 comments:

Post a Comment