Thursday, August 24, 2017

Destination Anywhere! || Burly Men at Sea (PC)



"A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are built for." --Gael Attal


Source: Screen Capture in Game

Burly Men at Sea is an interesting, branching story line tale created by Brain&Brain. You play as the Beard brothers, Steady Beard, Hasty Beard and Brave Beard. The Beard brothers find a map, but the map is almost completely empty. They decide to go in search of adventure… but what will adventure bring to them? 

There are so many different ways to play out the adventure that it hasn’t gotten dull yet, and I’ve played through about 5 times so far. Although, I do wish there was a skip or fast forward button like in some visual novels so that the repetitive parts could go by just a little faster. The walking speed seems slow after playing through some parts over again, but that may be for pacing’s sake since the game is rather short for each play through. 

My favorite character <3
Source: Screen capture in Game
The art is particularly captivating to me. It was a simplistic, but cute quality to it. Even the burly men themselves look adorable. I fell in love with the sea creatures, such as the seals and the narwhals. The colors are light and airy almost, which I feel adds to the fairy tale like charm of the game. 

One of the most unique and enjoyable features of Burly Men is the music and sound effects. All of the sound effects sound like they are done by a human, but very well done. The music also has some of the same quality. This made it really enjoyable for me, and I enjoyed hearing the different sound effects, and the music all around was acoustically pleasing. 

 Lead me to safety, mermaids!
Source: Screen Capture in Game

The variety of characters and creatures is also nice in this game. My favorite being a large rock golem you meet who has a love of flowers, and who just wants to be your friend. I wish I could have spent more time of his island with him. 

Overall, I think Burly Men has enough to offer to give it some replayability, even one play through was nice. I bought this game during a Steam sale (surprise!) for 4.99. At full price, the game retails for 9.99. As much as I enjoyed the game I can’t recommend paying 9.99 for it. If you can get it on sale, and you enjoy this type of game(games that are really more of an art piece than a game), then I would recommend it. Otherwise, I might say to pass. You can get the game on Steam *here*.

Thanks for sharing some of your time with me today! I really appreciate it. Be sure to let me know what you thought of the game. Happy gaming!

Bell

0 comments:

Post a Comment