Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Cabin Fever || One Week, My Room (PC)

“A little neglect may breed great mischief.” –Benjamin Franklin
title
Source: in Game Screen Capture
   
One Week, My Room is an intriguing point and click adventure created by Joyato. You play as a child who seems to be suffering from neglect from their mother. You learn more about the child’s life through diary entries, which talk about the mother playing a ‘game’ and getting sad when she looks at them, as well as a mysterious big brother that visits. All you need to do in this game is help the child survive.

The endings are also relative to Japan, I feel. And while I don’t want to spoil anything, I also feel it’s important to understand the relevance of the ending to the culture. In Japan, the suicide rate is 60 percent higher than anywhere else in the world. It a sobering statistic, but the tale of this child and his feelings may help bring some of that to light. Anyone can have these feelings, so it’s important to be able to recognize it—in yourself as well as others—to try to prevent it.

:(
Source: Screen Capture in Game

One other thing that occurred to me is about big brother. Big brother visits you on a certain night during the game, unless you take an action to stop him. My first thought about Big Brother is that maybe he is a Baku, which in some Asian countries is a supernatural dream eating monster. However, he also looks like No-Face from Spirited Away which isn’t based on any kind of traditional Japanese being that I know of. With the Baku, he can consume nightmares while you sleep, but if you’re not careful he can also consume your hopes and dreams, which I think may be relevant here.

Don't do it, little guy!
Source: Screen Capture in Game

I love the graphics of this game, and the colors are nice as well. The music is beautiful, if a little sad, and the sound effects are fitting.  The controls are simple and you only have to click with your mouse, I didn’t encounter any issues with it.

One other thing I really liked is that when you complete a playthrough you get some ‘tips’ which provide additional information on some aspects of the game. The game is short, and free to download and play. You can do so on the Itch.io page *here*. I highly recommend you give it a try.

Thank you once again for joining me here today. Be sure to let me know what you thought of the game, and happy gaming!

Bell

0 comments:

Post a Comment