Sunday, July 16, 2017

Legends of Old || Midsummer Night (PC)



"Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed." --G.K. Chesterton

Title Screen
Source: Screen Capture in Game

Midsummer Night is a game centered around folk tales, created by Everlasting Fantasy. You play as Klim, a young boy who awakes one morning to go and meet his sister, Alyonushka. When he reaches the flower field she was in, however, her finds her friends in a panic. It seems that a great beast has stolen Alyonushka! Klim sends her friends back to get help, and embarks on a journey to save her. 

Midsummer Night involves many characters from Russian folktales, such as the Kikimora, the Lihko, and more. I personally really enjoy the folklore of foreign countries, so playing this game made me want to learn more. 

A Kikimora tried to cook me!
Source: Screen Capture in Game

This game offers little guidance, so you are largely on your own to bumble your way through the game. It took me over 2 hours to complete the game through once, and much of that time was me simply trying to figure out what I was supposed to be doing. There were also many things that I did not do—and I only know that because of the achievements guide on Steam. I may actually go back for the other achievements, though. 

The graphics of the game are simple, old style pixel graphics, with the added ability of being able to control the color saturation with the page down and page up buttons. I don’t know if this was actually supposed to serve a purpose in the game for something, but I played with it anyway. I enjoyed the visuals of this game though.

 
 I think Poe's Raven is lost!
Source: Screen Capture in Game

The music and sound effects too are very nice, and help set the proper atmosphere. There is a part of the game where you must take a boat across a lake that is filled with monsters. I thought that I had enough distance, but I didn’t, so the monster surfaced and ate me whole. The sound that accompanied this scared me, and I jumped like a little girl. 

The story itself has good pacing, and I enjoyed it tale that it wove before me. The ending of the story was something unexpected for me, so that was nice. Overall, this quirky story was well worth the $0.74 I spent on it during the steam sale. At full price the game is 4.99, which isn’t bad, and I feel this game is worth more than I paid for it… but we all know how I feel about paying full price for anything. 

I hope that you’ll think of this game during the next steam sale and give it a try yourself! You can find it on Steam *here*

Thanks for spending some of your time with me today. Be sure to leave your feedback for the developer, and happy gaming!

Bell

1 comments:

  1. This game sounds really interesting. I love the pixelated graphics. Gonna have to add it to my wishlist. :)

    ReplyDelete