Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Don't Mean to Bug You || Morphopolis (PC)



 "Everyone is like a butterfly. They start out ugly and awkward, and then morph into beautiful, graceful butterflies that everyone loves." --Drew Barrymore

Morphopolis

 Opening Screen.
Source: Screen Capture in Game

Morphopolis is a point and click hidden items game created by Dan Walters and Cheri Williams. You play as a variety of bugs and you search through beautiful hand drawn environments for items you need to advance through the 5 levels. Now, as a warning, this game is about bug. So, if you take issue with bugs of any kind, you might want to skip this one. 

The pace of the game is very slow, and can become a bit monotonous, as I’m sure the life of a bug is. Once you collect all of the needed items across each area, you advance to the next level by taking control of another type of bug… by burrowing into it and living in it… or something? It made me think of Edgar the Bug from Men in Black… (a giant cockroach in a human disguise for those who haven’t seen it).

A portal to where?
Source: Screen Capture in Game

What I enjoyed most about this game was simply admiring the environments. The hand drawn quality of the plants and the colors create a beautiful scene to behold. The insects too are amazingly detailed. The music is calm, but becomes repetitive over time and wasn’t as memorable.

I feel like the puzzles are decent. There were times when it honestly took me some time to find all of the hidden items, and there were other times where it was clear where to get the items. I felt that this created a nice balance of not being too difficult to complete, and giving a break in between some of the harder items to find. 

 The details! @_@
Source: Screen Capture in Game

There was an issue with one of the puzzles with was like a solitaire puzzle where you jump seeds over each other to make other seeds disappear (Chinese checkers rules), but when I first attempted the puzzle it wouldn’t work. Clicking, dragging, all had no effect. I had to restart my computer and reopen the game, after which it worked fine. It was irritating none-the-less. This is also a common problem with the game, according to the community forums. 

Overall, I felt that Morphopolis is an interesting hour and a half venture. I bought this game during a steam sale for $0.49 so I felt that it was worth my 49 cents. It’s 1.99 at full price, I believe, so I don’t know if I would pay that, but if you can get it on sale, then I would recommend it. You can purchase the game on steam *here*.

Thank you for sharing some of your time with me today. Let me know what you thought of the game, if you’ve played it, and happy gaming!

Bell

0 comments:

Post a Comment