Sunday, July 23, 2017

Feelings on my Sleeve || My Other World (PC)



Source: Screen Capture in Game

My Other World is a creative game about anxiety, hate, love and hope, created by PixlWalkr. You play as an ambiguous character, and you play through 3 stages. Each stage has a different play mechanic, and seems to deal with different feelings.

I really enjoyed the different kinds of game mechanics—such as left clicking on positive words and right clicking on negative words in order to defeat the enemies. The graphics are also pretty nice, the enemies are creative and interesting to look at. 

While the mechanics were different, I felt they could use some more explanation. Much of the time during the 2nd and 3rd stages I had no idea what I was doing. Particularly the 3rd level I struggled because you’re told to pick the opposite of the negative word shown. The words didn’t seem to match up in a way that made sense to me, so I ended up just choosing randomly most of the time. I was still able to win, but it wasn’t as satisfying. 

Source: Screen Capture in Game

I also felt the game was lacking something in sound. The character sprite is cute,  and the enemies are unique and interesting as well. There was music, and the music was decent, but there was a noticeable lack of sound effects. It would have been nice to have some sort of audio clue that you were doing things right in battle. This is just a personal preference really, since I’m used to the studio clues from RPGs and the like. 

Overall, I feel that this game has a good and creative idea and theme, but the execution could use some work. With some updating and refinement, I think this game could really stand out a little more. You don’t have to take my word for it though! You can download this game and try it for yourself, free from Itch.io *here*

Thank you for sharing some of your time with me today. As always, be sure to leave your feedback for the developer, and happy gaming!

Bell

0 comments:

Post a Comment