Sunday, May 28, 2017

Genjitsukai (PC)



"Loving the monsters always ends badly for the human. It's a rule." --Laurell K Hamilton

 Source: In Game Screen Capture

Genjitsukai is a romance otome created by KagiProjects for the 2017 NaNoRenO Jam. The game’s main theme is vampires, which aren’t my favorite supernatural being, but I wanted to give it a shot anyhow. You play as Cherise (or whatever you name her) and you have spent your life obsessed with vampires, and proving their existence to the world. You can choose from two routes, Dalton or Aleisha, at the beginning of this game that will change your story. Each route has a different potential vampire for Cherise to pursue. 

I chose Dalton for my play through. Cherise is determined to get close to Dalton, though Dalton seems uninterested at first. She is persistent however, and Dalton tells her that if she is crushing on him, she is taking the wrong approach. Dalton seems to play along with her, and I realized that this girl really is quite… obsessed. Like, Twilight fangirl obsessed with vampires.

Dalton ends up having MC over to watch a movie, perhaps a horror movie even. Cherise tries to find more about Dalton. Where are his parents? Did he go to school? Where does he work? What is the key he always wears around his neck?

I don’t want to talk much more because I don’t want to spoil anything. However, the back and forth between MC and Dalton, I felt could give me whiplash. The feelings and attitudes changed so suddenly between them, and then back again. That’s not to say the game wasn’t enjoyable, I just found it hard to follow at points. 

Eh, I’ll be honest, this game isn’t quite my cup of tea. I’m not that into Vampires. While I enjoy BL like Blood Bank or Royal Servant, this game lacked something for me. This game isn’t bad, I think it just takes a certain type of person to enjoy it and it’s not me. 

I enjoyed the art of this game, I really enjoyed the music. Both of Dalton’s endings, the good and the bad, were well done. If Vampires are more your thing, then I’d encourage you to give it a shot. You can download and play for free from Itch.io *here*

Thanks for sharing your time with me, and Happy Gaming!

Bell

0 comments:

Post a Comment