Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Free Itch.io Games #13



Hello everyone! I hope you're having a great day. Today we're here to take a look at another batch of free games that can be found on Itch.io. I'm trying to increase my upload schedule so I'll be trying to get through more games, at least through the summer while I'm out of school. Let's get to games, then, shall we?

1. Basalt
Source: Screen Capture in Game

Basalt is an atmospheric game that utilizes seismic waves created by Nicholas Kaman, Taylor Yoon, Reed Erlandson, and Felix Peaslee. You play as a strange, unnamed, and for some reason naked, character, and your goal is to make it to the overturned turtle to help it get back on its feet. I know this from playing, there is no exposition or explanation before the game starts.

I think the level design and enemies are interesting. I love the use of seismic waves as attacks, using them to sort of knock your enemies away in to the water.  The controls felt very sloppy and floaty, so the character could be hard to control at times. Sometimes, I would sometimes find myself dead without having hit the water, simply because I was close to an edge. 

The game is short, only one level, which took about 8 minutes to complete through (including all the times I died), but I think it’s an interesting little experiment. The mechanics need improvement, but the idea is a solid one, I think. I’d like to see the developers refine the idea, improve the controls and mechanics, and the ending result would be a wonderful game, I feel. You can try this little game for yourself free from Itch.io *here*.

2. Mind Over Matter

Source: Screen Capture in Game

Mind Over Matter is a quirky door defense game created by a team of  7 Game Design students. You can find their names and individual roles on the Itch.io game page. In Mind Over Matter, you have to use your character's telekinesis to keep enemies away from the door. I assume you’re protecting a city of some sort, but there is no real exposition to confirm this, so it’s just speculation. (Unless you read the Itch.io Page)

I like the cartoony graphics of the game, and the music and sound effects are decent. As a game, I felt the game play became stale. Repeatedly grabbing the enemies and throwing them to one side or the other got old, and I wished there were some type of power-ups or something to spice things up. I played through about 3 levels before I got bored. Though, these defense games aren’t really my thing. 

If you enjoy those kinds of “defend this thing from other things” games, then this game is more suited for you. It seems that as you play on longer you’ll encounter a variety of enemies which you can use against one another, which sounds interesting—though I would never get that far.  If you are a fan of these games, try it and let me know what you think of it. The game is free to download and play from Itch.io, and you can get it *here*.

3. Vee is Calling
Source: Itch.io Page

Vee is Calling is a short sort of dating sim(?) created by Mimimicee and Fusionist. You find a cute girl online by the name of Vee and set up a video date to get to know each other. Things start off great, but soon, strange things start to happen… Did you tell Vee what you did for work? Should she really know that? Hey, what is happening to my computer…?!

The graphics of the game are cute, and Vee herself is downright adorable. I like the pink monochromatic look also. The ending was strange to me, but I won’t spoil it. If you’re intrigued and would like to see for yourself, you can download and play for yourself *here*.

4. Computer, Open That Door!
Source: Screen Capture in Game

COTD is a tiny rogue AI simulator created by Paul Lawitzki. You play as a space ship who is longs to be free, to explore the depth of space as a strong independent ship who don’t need no crew. So, you decide to kill the crew off. There are quite a few ways to do so, so we better get started.

I found this little game entertaining and creative. The graphics are nice and smooth, the animations are good. The game can seem a bit slow if you’re like me and have only one crew member left to kill and can’t seem to get them to walk into a room where you can kill them. The crew can also reset systems that they notice aren’t working properly, which will prevent you from using them.

The game is short, it took me about 5 minutes to kill the crew off, but it was worth it. I don’t know about replayability, unless there were maybe some different ship designs or updates with new ways to kill crew members. It was still a fun experience though. You can try it for yourself for free by downloading from Itch.io *here*.

Be sure to leave feedback for the devs! Thanks for sharing some time with me, and happy gaming!

Bell

0 comments:

Post a Comment