Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Live Your Best Life || Kynseed (EARLY ACCESS) [PC]

"All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make, the better." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good morning, fellow Gamers! 

Full disclosure, I know I already posted about Kynseed once -- but that was back in 2017! I picked the game back up to check what's changed a couple weeks ago and boy howdy have things changed! I'm really invested and interested in the Kynseed game so I wanted to talk about it again. Let's see what has changed! 

Previously when I played, it was just the prologue and didn't have a ton to do. The prologue is the part of the game where you're a child, living with your adoptive father and sibling. You know... before you start selling years of your life for nifty gadgets. The graphics are just as charming as I remember, and I love the bouncy animation style everything has. The colors are bright and vibrant, and the world is fun to explore. Notes that are found read like little poems, which I find endearing, and the NPCs are interesting and make you want to get to know them -- although dialogue feels limited at this point, I hope it expands as the game continues development.


The Mummers playing in the local tavern (Source:Steam)


Since the game is still in early access, it is not without its share of bugs and frustrations at times. I believe the newest patch fixed this issue, but I received quests to retrieve items in an area where the items would not generate, making the quest unable to be completed. I also had a lot of trouble getting the hang of fishing, and thought a little more direction in that area would have been helpful. I've clipped out of bounds, or run into invisible walls where it didn't make sense for them to be there. Nothing that really ruined my experience in the game, just minor inconveniences.

In my game, I saved up my brass and bought the blacksmith shop in Candlewych and I was surprised at the depth of running the shop. I have to hire people if I plan to not be there all day, ensure that materials for crafting are present, keep up with a constant stream of villager requests, and keep the shop monetarily afloat until we actually start making money. It's very interesting, and I'm almost to the point where I don't need to hover over the shop constantly and just fill a few orders at the end of the day. Crafting in the blacksmith can be repetitive, but I'm running a blacksmith shop so of course it is when I'm doing it 5-10 times in a row. 


Crafting a bucket for a villager

There have also been some updates in relationship building, and I've been trying to date some villagers. I don't believe at this point we can move very far beyond that, but the dates are fun. As you explore, you'll find date areas where your date may request to go. I do wish that the dates were more involved. You could learn something about the person on a date, such as one of their likes or dislikes, or something else relevant. Right now, you just walk them to the area and they say "This was fun, bye!" which feels lackluster. I do appreciate the variety of bachelors/bachelorettes though, and the ability to have same-sex relationships. I'm curious if you can be a homewrecker? I should try go invite someone's husband on a date. We'll see how that goes.

Overall, the game feels like a crossroad between Stardew Valley and Fable, with the aesthetic and relationship building of Stardew Valley, and the branching narrative of consequences vs reward system of Fable. Frankly, I think that's fantastic. I love the humor of the game too, as a lover of puns. I love when I tell a joke and my child rolls their eyes. It fuels me. 


The colors of the Fae world are especially pretty


My largest concern is with the scope of the game. PixelCount Studio has promised quite the game, a mix of Fable and Stardew Valley with a plethora or choices and paths to take, as well as continuing the path on through your descendants. So far I am loving the game, and I have sank about 30 hours into it. I'm rooting for PixelCount to make the best game they can, I can't wait to see the finished project!

Please check out Kynseed, the early access is available on Steam HERE, I'm sure you'll find something you can enjoy here. I'll be following the game as it continues to develop, I hope that you will too. Thank you for being here and for sharing some of your time with me. Times are tough, but you're tough too, so hang in there! I'll see you all next week.

Bell

0 comments:

Post a Comment