Tuesday, October 24, 2017

The Perfect Monster || Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend (PC)


"There is love in me the likes of which you've never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape. If I am not satisfied int he one, I will indulge the other.” -Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, Frankenstein

Title

Way back in January of this year, I talked about a demo I played for Dr. Frank’s Build-A-Boyfriend by Heiden. It was short, but I really liked the idea and was looking forward to playing to full game. Well buckle your seatbelts, cause it’s here and I finally carved out some time in my schedule to sit down and play it.

I found this game to be hilarious. Dr. Frank’s over dramatics, and the boyfriends unfailing innocence are charming. The sprite art and the environments are nice, and the puzzles are a perfect difficulty. There is a secret ending, which I think I know how to get but I haven’t tested it just yet. So, you can have fun trying to find that on your own.

That jerk!

Essentially, you play as Dr. Frank, who, after having his heart broken and his research stolen, is looking for revenge. And what better way to get revenge on a past lover, than to show them up with a new, and better, lover at your side? So, Dr. Frank is collecting… body parts to build himself a new boyfriend. But only the best body parts will do… right?

The game is a bit short, and I felt like there was more that could (or should) have been done with the boyfriend. It would have been nice to have even some smaller events to just fill the game out a little more. This isn’t something that really takes away from the enjoyment of the game, more of just a personal feeling.

Uh oh!

The music for the game is really nice, although sometimes the music would change suddenly and I wouldn’t know why, particularly while I was searching the house for clothes. The SFX were pretty well done also.

Without a doubt my favorite part of the game is building the boyfriend. The options are simply comical, and I had a good laugh while creating my boyfriend 3 separate times. My only issue is that the hair styles sometimes don’t quite look like they’re pictured in the builder, and I with the look of the boyfriend would change a little more drastically to really show. But, the pepperoni nipples were the real star.

Build that boyfriend!

If you enjoy a nice comical romance, I would certainly recommend giving Dr. Frank some of your time.  You can find the game free to download on Itch.io *here* Please be sure to leave your feedback for the developer, and happy gaming. Until next time, Jammers!

Bell

0 comments:

Post a Comment