Saturday, October 14, 2017

Norse Adventure || Finding Idun (PC)

Starry Night

Finding Idun is a cute adventure game created by Chris Macey where you play as Loki and you are on a journey to Jotunheimr to rescue Idun. When the great giant Thjazi tricked Loki into promising to bring her to him, Loki had no choice but to comply. Loki led Idun (the goddess who possessed magic apples of youth, the same apples that kept the gods young) out to the woods, Thjazi swept down in eagle form and took Idun away to his home in Jötunheimr (per the Itch.io page). You’ll be platforming, solving puzzles and meeting new people.

You have to read the Itch.io page to get the story information, as the game doesn’t tell you any of this. All I knew from starting the game was that I was going to rescue Idun. It was fine for just going to play the game, but I’m a gal that likes backstory so it might have been nice to even just have a little description at the beginning of the game.

I love this place

I like the dark, backlit graphics which is reminiscent of games like Limbo with the glowing eyes. The music is nice, and there’s enough of a variety in the different areas that I didn’t get tired of it. The controls, however, can be more difficult to deal with. I have fallen off many a ledge because the moving and jumping mechanics don’t always want to work together. 

I’m a big fan of Norse Mythology, and mythology in general, so that’s what drew me to this game in the first place. There is also a phone app that can be used to unlock more story. There are 4-digit pins in the game that you can find to do this. I think it’s interesting to tie a game you play on a PC to an app like that.


Overall, I like the game. It could use some polishing and minor mechanic fixes, but it’s still worth a play. You can download and play Finding Idun free from Itch.io *here*.

0 comments:

Post a Comment