Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow || After Dreams (PC)



"Missing you isn't the problem... it's knowing you're never coming back that's killing me." --Unknown

Source: Screen Capture in Game

After Dreams is an emotional tale of a game created by Hungry Kilobyte Studios. You play as Jessica, who has just been in a car accident and is dead. In a bizarre world, you can explore and find tapes left to you by your brother, with messages and updates of what happens in the aftermath of your death. 

This game was quite the emotional roller coaster, and is pretty when written. The area you must explore to find the tapes is jagged and creates a feeling of unease. I wasn’t sure what to expect out of the game, so I almost expected there to be monsters lurking around. 

The music and SFX are done very well, and really add to the feelings of tension and panic when appropriate. The voice actor of Jessica’s brother also did well. The graphics are alright, they aren’t top notch, BUT in the case of this game… I almost feel that the lower poly graphics added more to the game. The jagged edges and uneven terrain added a little something more to the overall feeling of the game. 

 Source: Screen Capture in Game

I loved the story this game follows, to think that once we are gone we might, in some way, hear the thoughts of our loved ones is interesting. The story is a roller coaster, it left me feeling happy, then mad, and left me feeling sad. It’s true that when we are gone, those close around us are left to suffer.
The only issue that I encountered was that the settings menu didn’t seem to work. I clicked on “settings” on the main screen but nothing happened. 

I would recommend giving the game a try for yourself. You can download the game free from Itch.io *here*. Be sure you leave you r feedback for the developers and let me know what you thought down below. 

Thanks for sharing some time with me, and happy gaming!

Bell

0 comments:

Post a Comment