Sunday, April 30, 2017

The House on Holland Hill (PC)



“I feel uneasy. It’s not often that you encounter the real person behind a good-natured mask—the darkest part of someone. It’s not comfortable when you do.” –Veronica Roth

Source: Screen Capture in Game

The House on Holland Hill is a suspenseful tale told by Hedgefield, aka Tim. I had forgotten what this game was even about by the time I got around to playing it (I download games en masse, then play them as the whimsy strikes). I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I was certainly surprised. You play as Luigi, a delivery driver. You frequently deliver pizza to The House on Holland Hill, and during those deliveries, you get to know the inhabitants of the house to some extent. 

Anyone who knows me knows how bad I am at horror games. Not the gameplay, but I’m a serious sissy. The fact that I keep PLAYING them shows what a glutton for punishment I am. Some games, however, are worth it. The House on Holland Hill, was worth it. 

Hedgefield does a great job of creating an unsettling atmosphere within this strange home. The air of mystery and unease permeates the entire game. The graphics are simple 3D backgrounds with 2D characters, and while it took some getting used to, it didn’t really take away from the feeling of the game. To be honest, it may have even added to the unease. The controls are simple enough, W A S D to move, and SHIFT to run. No other controls are needed. 

The game may come off as simplistic, but the atmosphere is where I really feel that this game makes its case.  I decided against recording myself playing this game, but if I had, you would have seen me just standing outside of doors, trying to convince myself that I wasn’t going to die, or running back to my bike to try to escape. 


Source: Screen Capture from Game



When the eerie sound effects would start, I actually slid my headphones off of my ears a little bit, in fear that a jumpscare was coming. Stop laughing, I told you I was a sissy when it comes to horror games!

Near the end of the game, you get the choice to go into the basement to see the truth, or to escape with Roselinde. I never clicked a button so fast to get the heck out. You’re telling me we don’t have to go into the creepy basement? What are we waiting for?! I’m getting on my Moped, quitting my job so I never have to come back here, and going home. Thanks! 

In any case, this game is free, and worth the time it takes to play. You can download the game for free from Itch.io *here*. If you’ve played, let me know what you thought. Also, be sure to leave any comments you have for the developer on their Itch.io page.

Happy Gaming, Friends!

Bell

0 comments:

Post a Comment