Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Relaxing in a Dream || Ruya [PC]

 "When you cease to dream, you cease to live." - Malcolm Forbes


Ruya is a peaceful matching game created by Miracle Tea where you have to match the same colored heads in a dictated pattern. A story told in pictures, combined with a surreal landscape and a deep relaxing soundtrack create a calm and serene game experience. I’m a little shaky on the lore, and I have to be honest—I didn’t complete the game. The music is SO relaxing and chill that it actually made me sleepy. I played in short bursts and made it through 4 of the worlds. The music alone makes this game worth it, but let’s talk about the rest of the game too.

I wonder if this game was designed to be mobile, because the style seems very mobile with simple controls that just involve drawing a line through matching colored heads in a particular pattern given to you. As you match the heads and they disappear, you then get the chance to place new heads in their place, so be mindful to place them where you can create the correct patterns. As simple as that sounds, it can become difficult since you’re only working within a small space and it’s easy to block yourself from being able to create the pattern you need.



I love the soft aesthetic of the game, from the character you play as, the sound design and lack of dialogue all add to this soft and calm atmosphere that draws you in, wraps you in a blanket and gives you a nice mug of hot cocoa. My child watched me play some of the game and they were entranced, and loved the flowers that decorate Ruya when you make a color match. The little details really add to the overall feeling of love in the game.

The downside, I feel, is also one of the things that is good about the game. For me, the game is so simple that it feels boring. Each level feels the same, just with a different back drop and sometimes with a little bit of story at the end. I recommend playing the game in short bursts to keep it from getting that way. Play just enough to unwind for the day, enjoy the experience, and then go about whatever else you needed to do.




I will probably continue to play this game until I finish, as a way to unwind after a hard day of work and to relax. The game is simple enough to not require an intense amount of thought, so you can relax and really enjoy the music, which I feel is really the highlight of this game. I believe you can even purchase the soundtrack through Itch.io, which I might actually do.

Overall Ruya is a lovely experience with beautiful music that leaves you feeling relaxed and accomplished. The simplicity of the game won’t be a strain on you, and at only 3.99 it’s not a strain on your wallet either. You can get Ruya through Itch.io HERE or you can purchase on Steam HERE. Either way I highly recommend if you’re looking for a lovely little game to play in your down time.

Thank you, as always, for spending some time with me today. I hope your day is going well, remember to hydrate, take a nap if you need it, call a friend. This year has been stressful, so find happy moments when you can. Hang in there, friends. I'll see you next week!

Bell


0 comments:

Post a Comment