Thursday, July 4, 2019

Feeling Human || Synthetic Lover [DEMO] (PC)


The real question is not whether machines think, but whether men do. The mystery which surrounds a thinking machine already surrounds a thinking man.” - B.F. Skinner

Title Screen

Synthetic Lover is an 18+ Sci-Fi Bl Visual Novel style game in the works from King ofHearts. The story takes place in a futuristic world where a large population of biots (biologically engineered humanoids) exist, with the sole purpose of fulfilling their pre-programmed vocation. Our story centers on Unit 532, a biot that resides and works in the Dollhouse, an adult entertainment building, as a companion. After an encounter with an unknown client and a strange device, 532 begins to feel strange, and it’s clear that the line between biot and what it means to be a human is becoming blurred.

As I headed into this demo, I immediately felt “Detroit Become Human” vibes, and I got excited to see where it would go. Once Riko, a lovely person who does the maintenance on biots it seems, understands what is going on with 532, they help him escape to go find the person that started this whole mess to begin with, Bastian. 532 heads to the Black Orchid where we find Bastian is a bartender. After some convincing, Bastian says that he can get the device back that caused this, and get the money he is rightfully owed for it in the process.

I'm feeling... something.

As they are talking, another character named Terrance comes on the scene. He works for GL in the research department, and says that he has no interest in turning 532 in, but wants to help him none-the-less. Bastian tells 532 not to trust him, and Riko DID say to avoid anyone from GL. But Terrance seems to know what he is talking about, so maybe he would be the better choice for assistance?

The demo ends where 532 has to make a decision between having Bastian help him, or Terrance. I clicked Terrance just because look at him. Those eyes, though. And I’m a sucker for silver hair, I admit it.

Although this was a rather short demo, I really like what this team has put together so far. The art is fantastic, the music is great, it’s FULLY voiced and the voice actors do a great job as well. I like the story they are putting together, as I’ve always had a fascination with “how real is too real for a robot” and “where is the line that separates man from machine” in these futuristic games.

I love the colors at play here. 

I really encourage you to give the demo a play, you can download it from itch.io here. Play it, see what you think, and if you like it, then you can help their kicktstarter which you can find here. Check it out for more information on the game and characters, and back them if you can. I was really impressed with the quality of the writing, the art and the production of the game overall, so I’m considering backing myself.

Thank you all so much for being here with me today. Happy Fourth of July. How do you feel about the idea of biots? Would you be able to separate them from humans in a significant way? If they looked liked humans, I don’t think that I could. Let me know what you think in the comments, and I’ll see you all next time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment