Thursday, July 19, 2018

Making Art || Catastropieces (PC)


Art doesn’t have to be pretty. It has to be meaningful.” -Duane Hanson

Such a pretty and colorful title screen

Catastropieces is a point and click puzzle game created by Maria Ferreri and many others, in which you use Rube Goldberg contraptions to create art. I fell in love with the concept, and the creativity behind it, so I could wait to give it a try. Without further ado, let’s give it a try!

The style of the game is very nice, it looks smooth and the colors are nice. The game ran at a bit of a low frame rate on my computer, but it wasn’t terrible. I had a bigger issue with the controls are certain times. It was difficult to place objects where I wanted to go. Some surfaces wouldn’t register where I tried to place things. I also wished that you were able to place object diagonally, for example, laying a canvas from the top of a box to the floor so I could roll objects down it. It would have made it better for me.


This one you have to paint the car!

There were also times when I would try to rotate an object, but my camera would move instead, which was a little frustrating. There’s a random element to how the objects will move when acted upon with force, so it can be difficult to predict how certain parts of your contraption will work. I completed one level by repeatedly running the same contraption until a fruit rolled the way I wanted it to. ¯\_()_/¯

I’m not skilled in creating Rube Goldberg machines, and that likely playing into my terrible skill at this particular game. I still love the concept, and I think with some updates and minor fixes it could be great. If a person enjoys creating these types of contraption (instead of just watching them, like me), they may find more enjoyment in the game. Give the game a try for yourself, you can download it free from Itch.io *here*. Let me know what you thought in the comments below!

Thank you, as always. Until next time!
Bellannmae

0 comments:

Post a Comment