Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Hold onto your Cats! Er, Hats! || Boneko [Prototype] (PC)

Title

Boneko is a platformer game in the works from Patchoid. The prototype available to play was made in 2015 and has a different story than where they are taking the game now, but the prototype is still fun, and the project is worth watching, so I’m going to talk about it anyway!

The story follows a girl names Bony, who enters an old mansion to recuse her cat Boneko, only to find he has been transformed into a hat! Now Bony must traverse the mansion, looking for her friends, and a way to restore Boneko to his original self.

No boot big enough to squash that spider...

The graphics are downright adorable, and the animations are smooth. I like the variety of enemies, and the level design. I had a few issues with controls, and the game does crash when I die. The developers know this, and it’s an issue with the game maker save system. The final game is being made with Unity, so hopefully there won’t be similar issues. I love the music, and the sound effects are fitting.

The fighting system involves Boneko shooting furballs at the enemies. You also get upgrades, the one I got involved a ground smash. You collect keys, and yarn balls that the enemies drop when you kill them. The keys are needed to advance, of course, but the purpose of the yarn balls was not discovered by me on my play through before I died. Does Bony knit upgrades for Boneko too?

These are big enough for those spiders!

Overall, this prototype is so charming and worth playing. I’m excited to see where this game goes in the future, and I’ll be keeping an eye out for the full release. You can download the prototype free from Itch.io *here*. Be sure to leave your feedback and encouragement for the developers. And, as always, happy gaming, Jammers!


Bell 

0 comments:

Post a Comment