Thursday, August 31, 2017

I need a Bear Hug || The Bear's Black Heart (PC)

"I don't know where the darkness grows in me, but I dare no search for it."--William C. Hannan

Title
Source: Screen Capture in Game

Bear’s Black Heart is an ‘roguelike lite’ game created by Big Bad Studios. You play as a bear who has to survive until Spring, 15 weeks, by finding food and keeping your heart good. You’ll be foraging for left over cans of food, picnic baskets and apples… or you can just eat the squirrels, if you want to be bad. I’ve had this game in my queue for so long it’s sad, but I’m excited to finally get to play it. So let’s do it!

I tried to play though being good, and it’s truly a challenge. The longest I made it was 8 weeks before I died of starvation because I refused to eat the squirrels. In order to advance the time, you’ll need to interact with a variety of quirky characters that will give you a list of actions you can perform. The choices usually involve helping them, refusing to help, or just eating them.

 A friendly snowman?
Source: Screen Capture in Game

The graphics are cute, I like the cartoon vibe it has. I also liked seeing the quirky characters I mentioned before. From a roided out smurf, to a snowman who lost his carrot, or a park ranger trying to arrest a bear, they were all interesting. It can sometimes be difficult to know what the ‘right’ choice is. I’ve chosen answers, only to be given corruption in my heart for an unknown reason.

The controls are decent. I did have issues try to pick up food items on the move, as you have to be right on top of it, and I got stuck on trees constantly, even when I swore I had enough room to fit through. Then again, when you’re s starving bear, you’re just trying to hurry through to find my picnic baskets. He should have asked Yogi Bear for help, he can always find picnic baskets.

Oops...
Source: Screen Capture in Game

Overall, I enjoyed playing the game. I want to try again to get farther because I’m curious about what lies at the end. But that is for another time! You can get this game free from Itch.io *here *

Thanks for sharing some time with me today. Be sure to leave some feedback for the developers, and happy gaming!

Bell

0 comments:

Post a Comment